Besides not eating wheat, we need to be careful about not eating other unhealthy foods to help prevent illnesses and diseases. Here is the short list of what not to eat based on the Medical Medium resources.
- Canola Oil
- Processed Beet Sugar
- Farmed Fish
- Natural Flavors
- Artificial Flavors
- Artificial Sweeteners
- Citric Acid
Here is the long list of some of the adjustments I’ve made in my life based on these principles:
- Skipping the taco shells and choosing a taco salad with leafy greens with meat, homemade taco seasoning, homemade refried beans, tomatoes, onion, and half an avocado on top.
- No corn chips. Good bye to the chips made from corn.
- Good bye sharing popcorn with the hubby. He hasn’t transitioned with this one yet, but I’ll indulge in my fruit smoothies instead.
- No corn oil. Just olive oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil.
- No corn cereals in the house – choosing the rice based cereals but trying to phase out cereal altogether with the sugar and processed food factor
- No corn syrup and no high fructose corn syrup. This one is fairly easy since we try to avoid most processed foods anyways.
- No added corn kernels in meals like chili. Okay to have a fresh organic corn on the cob as a special treat.
- No soy milk – Homemade banana milk, coconut milk or cashew milk instead.
- No soy nuts – I thought this was a nut
- No edamame – I thought this one was a veggie.
- No soy sauce – Dress the stir frys with different seasonings.
- No soy protein powder – Skip the added protein powders to smoothies.
- No tofu – didn’t eat these anyways
- No soybeans, No miso, No textured vegetable protein (TVP) – No idea what this was anyways
- No canola oil for Dave’s popcorn. If the popcorn is gonna happen for him anyways, there is coconut oil in the cabinet although he still tends to buy the corn oil. Baby steps.
- No Culvers french fries. Yes, they actually advertise they use canola oil to make their fries. We all know we shouldn’t eat the deep fried stuff anyway.
Processed Beet Sugar
- I think I’ve seen processed beet sugar about twice in labels. Pretty sure I saw it in those straws in the chip aisle (probably the red food coloring) and in a spice container. We don’t eat much processed foods to notice.
- Fresh organic beets are always allowed to eat!
- This one was a tough one to process, but reading that eggs actually feed the virus that causes cancer made me stop pretty quickly. We used to buy about 7 dozen eggs a week at our house. Now I buy one expensive container of the organic free-range eggs only when the kids specifically ask for asks. This one box lasts a few weeks so I’m happy to report there is definitely less egg eating at our house. Baby steps.
- Dairy is an ongoing struggle for me as a Wisconsin cheese eating soul. I try my best and definitely eat less and most days no dairy at all. This protocol is the last one on my list that I’ll be able to conquer some day.
- No butter
- No cheese
- No milk
- No yogurt – Smoothies taste even better with a banana instead of the yogurts to add that creaminess.
- No ice cream
- I don’t eat much meat anyways so skipping pork and ham is fairly easy for me except the bacon. Just choose a different meat when grocery shopping like organic free-range chicken or grass-fed beef.
- We don’t eat seafood in our house so not eating farmed fish is automatically checked off for us. If you enjoy fish, safest ones are wild salmon, wild halibut, and wild haddock.
- Gluten has been eliminated at our household for almost four full years so we have this one easily covered by now. Besides removing wheat, also remove barley, rye, spelt.
- Gluten-free oats are fine.
- If you have a disease or are ill, removing all grains is helpful to speed recovery.
MSG is basically a type of salt that is added to processed foods. The hidden names listed on page 283 are:
- Carrageenan – found in store bought coconut milk
- Sodium caseinate
- Balsamic vinegar
- Barley malt
- Malt extract
- Yeast extract
- Brewer’s yeast
- Corn starch
- Wheat starch
- Modified food starch
- Gelatin – good bye jello
- Textured protein
- Whey protein
- Soy protein
- Soy sauce
- This is also hidden MSG. So nothing with the works natural flavor like natural lemon flavor (it is not a lemon) and smoke flavor, natural maple flavor (this is not pure maple syrup), natural vanilla flavor (this is not pure vanilla extract – the insides of a vanilla bean tastes even better!)
- We all know not to eat artificial flavors. Processed foods are not good for us.
- We all know not to eat artificial sweeteners. Choose fruit, dates, raw honey or pure maple syrup to create your own sweeteners.
- We stumbled on this one before this book as the twins digestive systems would not tolerate it. Store bought apple sauce contains citric acid as well as many other processed foods. Just skip it.
I know this list can be hard to absorb, but just take it one day at a time and do the best you can. Remember this is for the long-term health. Keep improving every day!